Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with getting gain in a simple inverting op-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

manofwax

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,
I was trying to build a very simple inverting op amp. Input level is 0.04V and i want the output level to be 10V, and it's operating at 40kHz. But for some reason, I couldn't get any gain, but instead, it's attentuating. Please Help. Thanks.

Re: Op Amp

manofwax,
You are probably using an Op-Amp that has a low gain bandwidth product. You are trying to get a closed loop gain of 250 @ 40KHz. This means that the open loop gain of your op amp must be significantly higher than 250 @ 40KHz.
Regards,
Kral

Kral,
I tried to get a gain of 2, by changing the resistor values. Rf = 2K, R1 = 1K. But somehow it's still attentuating.
Regards,

manofwax,
What Op-Amp are you using?
Regards,
Kral

What is the supply voltage(s) for this construction. If it's a single supply, you'll need rail to rail input at least.

TOK ;)

try operating at reduced frequencies. if the gain improves, then you need to use another higher speed opamp than the one you are currently using. or just look into the data sheets of your opamp and look for the gain-bandwidth product and check out whether it is below 40khz.

if G-BW is above 40khz, check whether your +Vcc is atleast >10V.

regards,

if u are using pspice, uA741 opamp, here is a reference for you

Thanks a lot. I will try again tomorrow.
I'm using LM324, what rail to rail?
The way I set it up is:

[Signal Gen]-->[inverting op amp]-->[Oscilloscope]

Signal Gen: 33kHz
inverting op amp: Rf = 2K, R1 = 1K

I just want to see how the gain varies when I change the value of Rf. But somehow, this formula is not working for me, Vout = Rf/R1* Vin.

For the frequency, it doesn't matter which Opamp you choose since most general purpose opamps have the unity gain bandwith of 1MHz the lowest.

The resistors are calculated as usually.

If it is 10VAC RMS output needed, it means 14,14V peak, so you need the opamp with split power supply of at least +/-15V, or LM741 can be used in the worst case. For the latter case, you should use the power supply of +/-16V or higher with other high voltage opamp, or use LM741 in its +/-12V power supply to drive the transistor output stage in +/- 16V upwards power supply.

nguyennam

Op Amp

you can read Design with OP Amp and Analogic Integrated Circuit, by Franco.

Status
Not open for further replies.