Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

problem with eth MAC address

Status
Not open for further replies.

danda821

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have install RHEL AS 4 update 3 on a machine. When plug in a cable to the intel 1G eth port (the otherside is connected to a router), everything works fine. But when I unplug the cable, run ifconfig -a shows no eth0 and corresponding MAC address. So the machine only shows eth (MAC address) when there is a working eth connection. Is that normal? I need to use the MAC address when there is no eth connection. Thanks.

What if you try: ifup eth0 ?

It does not work. When I boot with the cable unplugged, it shows e1000 device eth0 does not seems to present delaying initialization.

When I run ifconfig -a, it shows:
lo Link Encap: Local loopback

sit0 Link Encap: Ipv6-in-Ipv4

if you need the MAC address go and take a look at the configuration file:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

There you can see the IP, MAC and lot of other things...

I can only see:

ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=ys
TYPE=Ethernet
Device=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

DarkJedi said:
if you need the MAC address go and take a look at the configuration file:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

There you can see the IP, MAC and lot of other things...

mmm that shouldn't be right, actually you dont need that MAC address, the router ask for it.

You can look in for the router to catch you MAC address, try looking at the router addresses or the mac table if you hace a switch somewhere, the other way is to look up the arp table in your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back