Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with connecting two voltage sources in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

want_to_know

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Clipboard01.gifClipboard02.gifClipboard03.gif

Hi,

Please forgive me for a simple question like this, I am new to this area, and was trying to understand how two voltage sources work when connecting in series.

Please refer to figure 1, I set R=0.0001 ohm, L =0.01 H,

Vb = 10.001V, frequency = 1, phase shift = 0
Vg = 10V, frequency = 1, phase shift = 0

Having the above parameters, i obtained results as in Figure 3 (current measurement), it can be seen that the current value is around 0.03A, from manual calculation, I got 0.016A, I wonder what is wrong with my calculation?

For another test, all parameters are the same except that I change the phase shift of Vg to pi/2. Referring to Figure 2 (again it is current measurement), it can be seen that the current value is now around 380A.

I have no idea how to calculate the current value in both cases, appreciate any guidance or links for me to understand this very basic problem.

Apologize for such a simple question.

Thanks.

Sum of all the voltages in a Loop = 0V (Kirchoff Law) is the mathematical approach, so one here is positive and the other looks negative in a loop as both (-) side are together.

Intuitive approach is the RL load sees the difference voltage between V1 and V2 which have a common ground and both ideal 0 ohm source impedance.

As defined the difference is 0.001Vac at f=1

This is a simple model of circulating current when sources are mismatched and no load in the middle to ground.
Imagine two power stations on the grid matched to 1 part in 10 thousand (except this is low voltage zero ohms)

Last edited:

Sum of all the voltages in a Loop = 0V (Kirchoff Law) is the mathematical approach, so one here is positive and the other looks negative in a loop as both (-) side are together.

Intuitive approach is the RL load sees the difference voltage between V1 and V2 which have a common ground and both ideal 0 ohm source impedance.

As defined the difference is 0.001Vac at f=1

hi, thanks for your reply, I understand that by applying Kirchoff Law,
IZ+Vg-Vb=0
I = (Vb-Vg)/(Z)

For the case where both phase shift are zero, I calculated I value from the above equation, Z=0.0628

I= 0.001/0.0628 = 0.016 A

but the simulation result gives 0.03A, what did I miss? Please let me know, I think this should be very simple, shame on me

Status
Not open for further replies.