Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with Avnet Virtex-II Pro Eval Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
impact virtex 2 not detecting

Hello guys,

I have a Avnet Virtex-II Pro Eval Board, do I have to use EDK to program the chip?
I ask this question now because I have EDK and ISE 8.1 but I only have a Multi-Linx cable which is no longer supported by Xilinx. I have to go back to use version 7.1 but I dont have EDK 7.1.....

Anyway, I tried to test the board by first powering the board with default jumper settings. Everything seems ok; I see the LED array flashing. Then I changed the jumper settings to JTAG mode, fired up iMPACT to see if I could detect the device in Boundary Scan Mode and got a problem.....When iMPACT was identifying the scan chain it kept on adding UNKNOWN devices. It seems the chain is infinite and I had to force the program to stop......I called Avnet about the problem and subsequently got a replacement board but I still have the same problem....(I am sure I got a different board bacause the chip is faster than the previous one)

So I want to know if the board is actually defective, or it just doesnt work with iMPACT (which I think is pretty weird if it is really so). Any owner of the same board can help me with this issue?

Thanks,

avnet virtex-ii

this error happens when chain is not detected, i always had it when i had a programmed prom and i wanted to programed it.
the solution is connect init pin to gnd and then fire the impact tool.
other option is that jtag flat cable doesnt work.

EDALIST, Thanks for your reply!
However I tried your method and it didnt work.....
I have just discover that Virtex-II Pro works at 1.5V, but my Multi-Linx only works down to 2.5V. I think it may be the source of the problem....

Hi, Fenrir,

Have you solved the problem? I have an idea and you can have a try.

You can bypass the FPGA (maybe you need to open a trace on the board), chain only the PROM's JTAG pins with your cable, programming the PROM via your cable, then config the FPGA using master serial mode. I hope this helps.

Or, why not find a suitable download cable? It is not expensive, compare to the board. It seems I can buy this in my city. If you need help, please feel free to contact me.

Good Luck!

Michael Zhang

==============================
Your Ideal Prototyping PCB service:
**broken link removed**
==============================

Status
Not open for further replies.