Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

problem with atmega16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navid T

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello
im using atmega16 with assembly language , i cant set pin 24 ~ 27 to zero but i can do this for other pins, why i cant do this for these three pins? do they need any spacially setup? when i write program for that like other pins those not set to zero i dont know why. do you know why i cant set these pins to zero?
thank you

Hi Navid,

Please find bellow some excerpts from data sheet. All coments belongs to author of the data sheet.

Most port pins have alternate functions in addition to being General Digital I/Os.

• TDI – Port C, Bit 5
TDI, JTAG Test Data In: Serial input data to be shifted in to the Instruction Register or Data Register (scan chains). When the JTAG interface is enabled, this pin can not be used as an I/O pin.
• TDO – Port C, Bit 4
TDO, JTAG Test Data Out: Serial output data from Instruction Register or Data Register.
When the JTAG interface is enabled, this pin can not be used as an I/O pin.
The TD0 pin is tri-stated unless TAP states that shifts out data are entered.
• TMS – Port C, Bit 3
TMS, JTAG Test Mode Select: This pin is used for navigating through the TAP-controller state machine. When the JTAG interface is enabled, this pin can not be used as an I/O pin.
• TCK – Port C, Bit 2
TCK, JTAG Test Clock: JTAG operation is synchronous to TCK. When the JTAG interface is enabled, this pin can not be used as an I/O pin.

The JTAG interface is accessed through four of the AVR’s pins. In JTAG terminology, these pins constitute the Test Access Port – TAP. These pins are:

• TMS: Test Mode Select. This pin is used for navigating through the TAP-controller
state machine.
• TCK: Test Clock. JTAG operation is synchronous to TCK.
• TDI: Test Data In. Serial input data to be shifted in to the Instruction Register or Data
Register (Scan Chains).
• TDO: Test Data Out. Serial output data from Instruction register or Data Register.

When the JTAGEN fuse is unprogrammed, these four TAP pins are normal port pins
and the TAP controller is in reset. When programmed and the JTD bit in MCUCSR is
cleared, the TAP input signals are internally pulled high and the JTAG is enabled for
Boundary-scan and programming. In this case, the TAP output pin (TDO) is left floating
in states where the JTAG TAP controller is not shifting data, and must therefore be connected to a pull-up resistor or other hardware having pull-ups (for instance the TDI-input of the next device in the scan chain). The device is shipped with this fuse programmed.

• Bit 7 of MCUCSR register – JTD: JTAG Interface Disable
Initial value after reset is 0.
When this bit is zero, the JTAG interface is enabled if the JTAGEN Fuse is programmed.
If this bit is one, the JTAG interface is disabled. In order to avoid unintentional disabling or enabling of the JTAG interface, a timed sequence must be followed when changing this bit: The application software must write this bit to the desired value twice within four cycles to change its value.

The bold and red characters is the answer to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.