Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with 18f series PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

para_racer

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've tried multiple PICs including 18lf448, 458, 8720 and can't get any to work. I have PIC Basic Pro 2.42 and the new MPLab 6.1.X. Everything compiles, assembles, and programs fine with no errors. I've tried something simple like flashing an led and it does nothing. If I pop in a 16f877 in place, it works fine. Is there something I'm missing?? Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks, Wade :?:

Problem

Are you using a bootloader..? If your using a Programmer, is your Low voltage fuse set to no low voltage. Also: Sometimes on some programmers you need to ground the low voltage program pin to get it to program correctly: Make sure your chip is earased correctly before each program including the fuses. Other than that without seeing your code we have no idea what's going on by your above statement.

Problems

I'm using a Warp 13 programmer and have read on thier web site to see if I'm doing something wrong. It looks like it should be fine. I'm using the same PIC Basic code for both the 16F877 and the 18LF448.

DEFINE OSC 20

LOOP: PORTD.7 = 1
PAUSE 2000
PORTD.7 = 0
PAUSE 2000
GOTO LOOP
END

That about it. Like I said, it works fine on the 16F but not the 18F. I've tried ICSP and programming on the programmer socket. They both say programmed fine and varified. Is the low voltage programming pin different on the 18F series? Because it's not an issue with the 16F chips.

Thanks, Wade

Pic Programming

Wade
What is your firmware on your Warp13? very important that you have the correct firmware: Better check at :
**broken link removed**
Also the low voltage program pin is different from the 16F877: read the data sheets. 16F877 is RB3 18FL448 is RB5

18FL488

Wade
I changed your code to:

DEFINE OSC 20
LED VAR PORTB.2
LOOP:
high led
PAUSE 1000
low led
PAUSE 1000
GOTO LOOP
END

Try this and see if it works, it did for me for a 18F452 as I don't have a 18FL488

Firmware

SAR,

I have the latest firmware and it tests out with the 16F. I will give your code a try tomorrow. Thanks for the clues... I'll also check the low voltage pin. Wouldn't the firmware update keep the low voltage pin at the appropriate level?

Thanks again,

Wade

If you're using a crystal make sure you set the oscilator option to "HS". I had a similar problem with the 18F series until I set the oscilator to HS.

Osc. set to HS

Thanks man! The HS setting brings the PIC to life!! It works fine now.

Thanks again! :idea:

Normally It's a oscillator problem (right Cap values, etc)

MODERATOR ACTION: requests removed
please press the blue button next time thank you

Attention Moderator,

Please do something about the last two posts. You know that I will always defend the copyright of the WARP-13 and the software and firmware.

I trust this matter will be taken care of properly.

Thank-you!

Regards,

Jim Robertson
NEWFOUND ELECTRONICS

Status
Not open for further replies.