Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem of differential amplifer as a comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jing

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I designed a very simple comparator, actually it is just a CMOS differential amplifier. I put a single comparator on the chip. The measurement showed that the offset is about 10mV and it can detect at least 15mVpp of 10kHz signal.

I used this comparator in one system. But this comparator cannot detect 80mVpp of 10kHz signal. In the system, the comparator input is not ideal square wave, but seriously distorted. However, the peak to peak amplitude is more than 80mV. I really don't understand why the comparator in the system cannot work as it is separated. Is it because the surrounding of the comparator has lots of other CMOS when it is in the system. The surrounding is not symmetrical, so it increases the mismatch and offset of the comparator?

Could anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks a lot

Did u check input impedance of ur system and output impedance of last system? may be it cause some distortions on signal and it becomes less than 15mV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back