Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem in Hspice calculating Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnsakanjankumar

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to calculate gain of the Common source amplifier and that value should be written in output file(.out) but i don't how to calculate it
input is ac+dc and output is also ac+dc i want to calculate small signal gain how to separate dc to calculate it
please help me

hi
one solution can be adding a large resistor load and a capacitor in series to block dc component and measuring the output at resistor

kk one thing i didn't understand while writing the code is
Vin in gnd 1 ac 1 sin(1.5 100mv 100khz)
|| ||
-------------- i didn't understand what is "ac 1" and what is the use of writing 1.5 ?
Can u give me typical values of gain we get for common source amplifier ?

for gain measurement you should do transient analysis with sin voltage sources not ac
such as : Vin in_node gnd 0 100m 100k
the 1.5 in yours defines the voltage offset of the voltage source(its a dc value)
gain value depends on your MOS and load type; typically it is in the order of ten

Thanks for your reply

I have another doubt
i tried designing a cascode amplifier using Three Mosfts
see this pic Cascode.JPG
i used W/L for Nmos 10u/.2u and PMOS 20u/.2u when i simulated it then the Vds of PMOS is -11.76134m therefore i am not able to get amplification i tried using different values of W/L but still Vds is approx around 60m.
And one more point the region of operation of pmos is always Linear no matter what i change its still the same
Please help Waiting for Your reply
Thanks

so what about vb1 and vb2 ?
you should choose them correctly to have your mosfets work in saturation region , I think this is the problem

so how did you choose them?
check the conditions for MOSFET saturation, choose a typical Vov(overdrive) for each MOSFET, to have your MOSFET work in saturation and have a good output swing ...
refer to a CMOS design textbook such as Prof. Behzad Razavi's or Martin's
good luck

I think firstly you should check the Vt of Nmos, then determine the Vin to ensure that Q1 does not operate in the cutoff region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back