Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Problem in developing synthesizable verilog code

Status
Not open for further replies.

er.akhilkumar

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I have a problem in writing an independent statement assigning 1-bit constant value to a reg type (not in always block) in module.

Here is the dummy code:

module one_bit (input a , output reg b);

assign b = 0; // is not synthesizable as b is of reg type
//always will not make sense in assigning permanent value

endmodule

Can anyone please help me in solving out this problem?

In VHDL I can simply write:
b <= '0'; // Permanently bound to ground as in VHDL there is no reg type std_logic is same for all
But in verilog I cannot write like above and I also cannot use assign statement as bit is of reg type.

Thanx

This should solve your issue
################################
module one_bit (input a , output b);

assign b = 0; // is not synthesizable as b is of reg type
//always will not make sense in assigning permanent value

endmodule
################################

assign has to have a wire type.

module one_bit (input a, output wire b);

the wire is the default type as mail4idle2 showed in his example.

I would suggest going over a Verilog tutorial as you seem to have been a VHDL user.

This would have worked in SystemVerilog. It allows you to make a single continuous assignment to a reg variable.

Thanx for your replies. I knew that you will suggest me to replace type of "b" from reg to wire. But this is a dummy problem. Actually I have to develop a read/write memory-mapped register in which there is a parameter named as IMPLEMENT whose value tells the generate statement that which bits of "b" shall be output of flip-flop and the bits for which IMPLEMENT's value is 0 shall be permanently bound to 0.

As in case of register implementation "b" shall be always of type reg thats why I am trying to permanently assign 0 to the bits of register for which IMPLEMENT is 0.

Can you please help me solving this problem?

Friends, the problem has been solved. Thanks for your replies. What I have done is, I have declared the output as wire but I have declared a temporary signal of reg type inside the module. I used temporary reg type signal for register implementation and the bits for which flip-flop shall not be implemented are connected permanently to grounf using assign as output is of wire type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back