Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem facing with Hex file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venkatesh_EDA

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm dealing with Hex file format for PIC 18F4550 microcontroller. The upper limit for the code memory for my application is upto 3fff i.e. (0000 to 3fff). I'm using Microchip's MPLab IDE to generate the hex file. The hex file format I have chosen is INHX32.
My issue is, in hex file, it is showing valid instruction upto the location 0x0930. From 0x0940 onwards, the data field is filled with F's till upper limit. What is the meaning of filling of data field of hex file with F's?.

Regards,
Venkatesh

FF is equivalent to erased flash state. A compiler normally omits these empty area. If you read back a device image by a programmer, you get a full image, if not explicitely excluding known unused areas.

Most programmers skip FF, so there's no problem except increased file size, and a longer verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.