Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Probing Test Pads in 0.35um

Status
Not open for further replies.

ja2bo2t

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We are working in a 0.35um TSMC technology and I am in the process of designing a test chip that is to be used to characterize some analog amplifiers used in the actual design. In the actual design, these amplifiers require about 40 I/O pins due to digital configuration bits, digital power, analog power, and reference voltages. For testing, I was considering using a probe card with the ~40 pins put in a peripheral around the amplifier and moving from one amplifier to the next for characterization. Is this the normal application of a probe card? Do they have pre-made probe cards for standard footprints? How expensive would a custom probe card for this application be?

Also, is there an easier way to accomplish the task of getting access to a large number of I/O?

There are no such things as standard footprints. The standard procedure for testing prototypes and low volumes is to use a probe card with independently adjustable probe needles. For testing high volumes, a custom probe card pays off.

Are you aware of off the shelf probe cards that have adjustable probe needles? I haven't been able to find such a product as of yet.

I've heard about. Here are a few links from the **broken link removed** you could try.

For characterization, chip-on-board could be more
economical than a probe card especially if you have
no further interest in the design. A production part
of course will need probe hardware but this does
not sound like that. COB offers much less inductance
and more opportunity to put close-in support stuff
like op amp measurement loops, etc. Of course it
helps if there's a nice lady with a wire bonder in your
lab....

I like the idea of chip-on-board. I think I'll invest a little more time in combining all the common amplifier signals to common pins, and wire bond these to a board. I can then probe each amplifier's input/output (differential, so 4 pins) with standard probes for characterization. As long as noise is not an issue with the common lines, I think this will work. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back