Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Prob with RTC Backup Battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdharan

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Iam using PCF 8583P rtc from Philips. Iam interfacing it with PIC18F452. Iam using a 3.6V Ni-Cd Battery as RTC backup Battery when the system powersupply is off.
When there is system power (+5V) the Ni-cd battery is charged.

My problem is the Backup Battery Drains off too fast with in 30 hrs and the time is lost.

I have attached the circuit that iam using. I dont know where Iam going wrong.

Can any one give me a suggestion to overcome this problem.

Thankyou.

Regards,
vdharan

I think the resistor 2.7k is very big, thus voltage drop on it will be much more. So the battery voltage can not efeciently supply to the rtc. I couldn't find rtc datasheet. But i recommend you that read the datasheet of rtc carefully about connecting backup battery.
For a quik solution for this circuit, you can connect a reverse diode parallel to 2.7k to decrease voltage drop ~0.7V.

Yes Now i have removed the resistor. also I have connected the 33pf to the battery so that it will also be powered when there is no supply. Iam testing it now by charging the battery and switching off the system. will come to know about the battery capacity after few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back