Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

printer interface with 8051 or avr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noman Yousaf

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all
i want to use parallel dot matrix priter with avr or 8051 mcu.
i dont need code. i just need the protocol or commands to interface printer to MCU.
somebody told that when ascii data is given to printer data lines, and strob is applied, thad character is printed.
is this right?
or any body has done like that?
thanks in advance.

hi!
In our project we had used dot matrix printer epson 300+.we had used pic 18f4520,lcd,keyboard and printer.printer has 8 data lines,and we used two control signals,busy and strobe.busy pin is made input and strobe as output.first strobe pin is kept high,data to be printed is obtained at particular port then,low to high transition is given to the strobe.then we keep checking the busy pin,if printer is busy then wait,after it becomes free then send next data.for printer interfacing we used DB25 connector.

thanks kilbil
but is this procedure same for other parallel dot matrix printers?
and one more thing, is ascii data given directly or after some commands?
how many characters will be given in one time?
please reply all

i have worked with epson printers only , so i don't know about the other types.
at a time we send only one character, first we will take data to be printed in port,then give strobe low to high transition with some delay in between say 5ms,write do-while loop to check printer is busy or not and then increment to next character.
i don't remember exactly but i guess ascii data is given directly,character by character

Matrix printers are mostly printing line-by-line. If the data is terminated with a CR or LF, it will be printed. Without sending any control characters, the data is printed with the default font and size, you can use control characters, to change the font or print bitmap graphics. Control characters are vendor specific, but EPSON ESC-P is a kind of industry standard, supported by many third parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back