Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

printed monopole overview needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolesov

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
printed monopole

Hi, Can somebody give me a overview of printed monople? I appreciate it if there are some easily unterstanding examples.

Thanks.

Hi kolesov
For what application do you need this printed monopole? A problem of
them is often the (big) ground they need. Often it is better to use a
printed dipole...

Greets

one trick

One trick is to have the ground plane area end before the edge of the PC card is reached. The radiating element of the monopole is sent off at right angles to the edge of the ground plane area.

OK, OK but if you'd like to design a planar printed monopole, where also
the radiator is 'printed' this won't work. You need a relatively big groundplane...

radiator in plane

The radiator is in the plane of the PC card. This is the method used on commercial 802.11b cards with the further reduction in board space by bending the far end of the radiator at a right angle at the far end.

It's an interresiting idea... Do you have an idea about the gain of such an antenna?

less than 0 dBi

The bend on the end also puts some radiation in the direction of what would have been the end on to the radiator. I would suspect that the efficiency is under 100% and with radiation in all directions the gain would be slightly less than isotropic.

Hi, thanks everone. I think this typ of antenna is really sómething for the future because of its small size and lowcost.

Maybe this doc is interesting for someone. But I couldn't find any pictures of typical radiation pattern of the antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back