Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Printed Dipole (Geometry Design)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black-Bone

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been studying how to design a printed dipole antenna and I couldn't understand about the width and length of it.
In microstrip design handbook says "typically strip width less than 0.05*wavelength". But I have read many literature, and it's never close to what I have read.
I will appreciate if somone could guide me about the design of printed dipole or what I am missing about the understanding of the width of printed dipole.

The width of the strip has influence on the useful bandwidth. A wider strip results in more BW (VSWR=2 for example). In case of wide strips, the physical resonant length will be well below 0.5lambda. Also the input impedance at resonance reduces when strip width increases.

In case of lossy material close to the strip, making the strip wider, reduces loss in lossy material that touches the strip. Even wide strips (say 0.1lambda) have reasonable omnidirectional radiation pattern.

Just run some simulation and you will gain some feeling for half wave or full wave strip dipoles.

Thank you for your answer WimRFP, it helped me a lot

Hi there,

I have one more question about printed dipole array.
Now I designed two element of printed dipole array. The return loss of the two element is shifted up around 100 MHz.
This doesn't make sense for me, because I think when we increase the dimension of antenna, the return loss should be shifted down.
So any factors else can affect to the resonant frequency?

Thank you you all,
Black-Bone

Hi there,

I have one more question about printed dipole array.
Now I designed two element of printed dipole array. The return loss of the two element is shifted up around 100 MHz.
This doesn't make sense for me, because I think when we increase the dimension of antenna, the return loss should be shifted down.
So any factors else can affect to the resonant frequency?

Thank you you all,
Black-Bone
If you were doing L= 1/4 Lamda for F=x then you lengthen the antenna it not only got optimized for freq < x @ 1/4Lamda,
but it also got Optimized for a new freq, L2= 1/2 Lamda @ F= x*2, and L3= 1Lamda @ F3=x*4 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back