Status
Not open for further replies.

Baranidaran

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to design a transformer that converts 230V,50Hz into 12V, 500mA. What should be the primary and secondary inductance? How can I calculate that?

Are you talking about a SMPS transformer, or just a 50/60Hz transformer? Is your output DC or AC?

One way to decide your primary inductance should be such that you magnetizing current is <5% of max load current. But this is not a golden rule. In reality i believe for 50Hz transformer it would be primarily driven by no of turns needed to hold-of voltage in primary

Okay, for a AC line transformer it's simpler. You need to select a core first, which is suitable for your transmitted power. Then, as atripathi said, you calculate the number of primary turns needed to suppress magnetizing flux/current, and prevent core saturation. Then you decide your turns ratio and wind the secondary. Then whatever inductances you end up with are the appropriate inductance.

Hi Baranidaran
I want to design a transformer that converts 230V,50Hz into 12V, 500mA. What should be the primary and secondary inductance? How can I calculate that?
It is so simple ! i can suggest you two ways ! but both of them require selecting core type , before each thing ! for iron core and EI type , you can use the formula : EI< or = 30sqrt(AFE ) . AFE will be 1.2sqrt(P1) . do you want this way ? if yes i can guide you more .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.