Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Price friendly RF components with ADS simulation models

Status
Not open for further replies.

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, i have found this company which posted its RF components ADS models ,but its very expensive.
Is there more frendly compamy which posts its ADS models and the prices are not several hundred dollars per rf component.

Thanks.

Maybe some old Renesas ADS design kits? There are many obsolete cheap parts in there, like NE3210S01. Currently it shows very nice looking 404 error, maybe can download it somewhere. Now there is a link to some "modelithics", you may try to search in this direction. Also you may try to adapt different legacy spice models from some other manufacturers. LTspice comes with a kind of strange libraries, for most specific tasks you still need to search and add everything by hand, but maybe you can find something cheap and usable within a "built-in" ADS model library.

Also you can do prototyping without simulation, just take datasheet and do prototyping using cheaper parts. Better with some measurement equipment, like VNA with good probes and/or good SMA connectors to solder. You can use simulation with some generic part to check the idea, and then use cheap part, do several prototypes and measure them.

is there other compamies i coud consider? for mixers amplifiers etc..

If you click the Pictures, you can download the Design Kits.. I believe they are free..

another problem is the board itseld,unlike low frequency devices which could work on breadboard.
and i could test the inputs and outputs .
in here i cant do it.
Is there some "RF beadboard where i could manualy put components one after the other and test them manualy?

Amazon stuff will be apriciated .so i could order online.

UPDATE:
I have found this product,could it work on RF frequencies?

Last edited:

I recommend to order PCB based on your layout (Gerber files) at some "online PCB fab". Each time you can prepare order with several prototypes on a single PCB to try several design ideas. Manual etching, CNC machining and cutting with knife takes a lot of time, and only makes sense if you pretty experienced already, and want to save some money by making prototypes on some Rogers substrate (ro4350), for which manufacturing prices usually much higher.

Generic 1.0mm thick FR4 substrate works very well at 10GHz and usable up to 30 GHz when used with grounded coplanar waveguide (GCPW) lines, microstrip lines, and substrate integrated waveguides (SIW) and similar structures. SIW cavity resonators and GCPW to SIW transitions kind of lossy at 25 GHz, but works and may be used for learning purposes or some real tasks. I had a lot of practice with FR4 prototypes at 10GHz, measured them using cheap board modules: 10GHz VCO, hmc363 frequency divider and logarithmic power detector. Filter measurement: VCO+power detector, custom filter board inbetween; custom VCO measurement: hmc363 + cheap 2.4GHz frequency counter, logarithmic power detector, custom patch probe with SMA connector, custom patch antenna for VCO; etc. Air-filled (AFSIW/ESIW), GCPW and ridge gap waveguide (RGW) structures have much lower losses and probably will work even above 30GHz, because fields are kept out of lossy dielectric. I've seen one manufacturer provided FR4 datasheet material characterized up to 10GHz. With stepped prototyping, EM simulation and/or some analytical formulas you can characterize FR4 substrate from any PCB fab. You can even put additional test line on each prototype board and measure it if required: (sma)-(gcpw)-(siw resonator)-(gcpw)-(sma). Use 1.0mm board for frequencies below 12GHz, and 1.0mm or 0.6mm for frequencies above 12GHz. Generic FR4 material problems for commercial use at 20GHz and higher: glass fibers will mess with field distribution, dielectric constant may drift noticeably as temperature changes. Losses are often not so important if structure is physically small.

Last edited:

It really depends what type of circuit you need.

Lossy through line is certainly possible. For filters you need lower loss in most cases.
You mentioned patch antenna: antenna efficiency using FR4 at 10GHz is ~33% only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back