Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Prevent tools from inserting buffers (Design Compiler and Encounter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalar

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

As the title of this topic indicates, I want to synthesise and P&R a design without buffers in order to observe the behaviour of long interconnects to the delay. Therefore, I want to know if there is any way to disable buffer insertion to my design, both at the stage of synthesis (Design Compiler - Synopsys) and the stage of place and route (Encounter - Cadence).

Kind regards

simply mark all buffer cells as dont_use. in sdc files you can do it with the set_dont_use command. you can also do it internally to the tool, but the syntax changes slightly from tool to tool

- - - Updated - - -

simply mark all buffer cells as dont_use. in sdc files you can do it with the set_dont_use command. you can also do it internally to the tool, but the syntax changes slightly from tool to tool

on a second thought... this won't prevent the tools from upsizing cells to meet timing. in other words, the std cells will start to act as buffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back