Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PowerLine Communication systems - info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

indynetra

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PowerLine Communication

Hi,
I would like to know more about powerLine communication systems. if somebody have experianced on this field, mostly welcomes yours comments, ckts designs etc...

Regards...,,,
Indy

book

The best book on this subject I have found is by Klaus Dostert.

In general there are European standards for different frequency bands for different uses.

HOME PLUG

Hi did an evaluation on a Siemens ETHERNET POWER MODEM .Most of these products are based on the Intellon chip .
The architecture of this chip is very interesting .. The comunication is carried out in around 80 channels . The chip when is connected to power network tries to mesure the TRANSFER COURBE in the whole 80 channels
and it selects the best ones ..It only tries to comunicate through the best channels (the ones that offer best propagation of the signal)
This type of architecture should make it very reliable ..
But i found if your network is the same power circuit .. it works well!
8 ~10 Mbits .. But if the units are in a different circuit ..(different breaker
protection) The whole things stinks ..

I also tried to go to my neighbord's house and connect from there ..
no HOPE !..

So still is a gadget ! . not a reiliable all terrain device ..
I think that wireless is better ..!
anyways check the intellon web site !
and the **broken link removed**

good luck

That's the same method as the original ADSL specification

ASIC

If you want powerline communication for industrial use can see ST7535 SGS-THOMSOM 2400bps poerline modem

thanks, anybody have some reference circuits regarding this ???

indy

ethernet or 2400 bps?

obeviously ethernet :wink:

indy

Do it yourself home power line communication project

here is a project on the home power line communication topic

w*w.ece.msstate.edu/classes/ece4512/projects/2000_spring/power_line_communication/docs/design.pdf

Mr.Cool

Hi indy

several years ago I designed a prototype of a powerline modem. It uses direct sequence spread-spectrum and was able to communicate with 115kBit/s. It is possible to feed one phase and to get the receiving signal out of another phase. The distance you can reach depends on output-power (and law...). With 100mW an inhouse communication is possible, with about 1W you can also leave your house.

Bye

Have a look at ST7536,ST7537,ST7538 on ST website, you will also find app notes with schematics/source code.
HTH w*w.hth.com/plm-24/ have info about the snap protocol, commonly used in these analogue modems.
I think ST are the only company left doing analogue modems, most are now looking at dsp based systems for higher data rates.
I know ST are working on a new dsp based modem.

Regards
NTFreak

As far as i know ST chips are only "analog front ends". No signal processing , no clever modulation schemes. If you add some data
correction speed lowers below 2400 baud.

Intellon , Itran and Domosys also works in PLC business.

This is true all the work/processing has to be done in the micro, but it fine for low cost simple applications.

NTFreak

Re: PowerLine Communication

indynetra said:
Hi,
I would like to know more about powerLine communication systems. if somebody have experianced on this field, mostly welcomes yours comments, ckts designs etc...

Regards...,,,
Indy

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

enclosed technical information (pdf files)

regrdas - haymeron

Re: PowerLine Communication

Motorola have power line modem referance design for the new DSP568 includeing source code

search for dsp568 on Motorola site

best

Bobi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back