Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power transformer monitoring device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Use a small coil that can inductively couple to the transformer magnetic field and produce a few volts
You could try this, but I wouldn't be surprised if this trial fails.
Since it's an oil cooled transformer I expect it to be in a metal case...shielding the magnetic field.

Usually or better say "ideally" the magnetic overall field in a three phase transformer cancels out. For sure there is a magnetic field in each leg. I don't expect much of the fundamental frequency. Because of unlinearity of the magnetic core there will be overtones.
The third overtones will sum, because they are identical in phase in all three legs.
I wonder how much of this is "usable" outside of the transformer.

If it really works it's indeed the preferable power supply...but I assume each transformer type will have it's own hot spots of magnetic field. They will vary in size and location.

Klaus

Usually or better say "ideally" the magnetic overall field in a three phase transformer cancels out.

You are right, but this cancels only in the average sense. Please consider a single phase transformer, then the average cancels there too. But,,,

For a three phase case, you will get a 180Hz AC ripple voltage that can easily come out - the steel cage is a good protection but not 100% effective.

I shall try to make a plot ans see if I can convince.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back