Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply Voltage drop when connecting load

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanwasy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have power supply 12V, 10A , its works and i got 12V DC , but when i connect a device
cctv Camera the voltage drops to 5 volts and the Green led stars to blinking.

Hi,

Can you explain what the blinking LED signifies, please? Is there a user manual for that power supply? What are the camera operating ratings, and I guess someone else might ask you how they are connected and if you could provide a schematic of your circuit.

Is the camera supposed to work from 12V, or 5V? Could
be that there is some input overvoltage protection on a
5V supply camera that is clamping the voltage and hitting
the current limit.

Abruptly connecting a load with a large decoupling bank
inside it, could trigger a latched overcurrent protection
(where attaching camera first, then turning on supply,
might be OK under the supplie's soft-start control).

Thank you for your replay. The Power supply was worked perfectly it's provide 4 CCTV cameras a power of 12V , 5watts each camera consume. But after 6 moths the cameras stop working , I have checked the cameras power plugs the reading of voltage is 5 Volts, when I unplug the 4 cameras and check the voltage the reading is 12 volt.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the camera supposed to work from 12V, or 5V? Could
be that there is some input overvoltage protection on a
5V supply camera that is clamping the voltage and hitting
the current limit.

Abruptly connecting a load with a large decoupling bank
inside it, could trigger a latched overcurrent protection
(where attaching camera first, then turning on supply,
might be OK under the supplie's soft-start control).

camera rated 12v 5W

Hi,

Have you tried disconnecting one camera at a time to see when the voltage returns to a normal 12V?

I don't know, it sounds to me like there may be a shortcircuit/faulty part or wiring somewhere dragging the voltage down. It does sound like - amongst many possibilities - it may be current-limiting or something along those lines. Perhaps measuring the current going in to each camera (if possible and connecting one at a time) might shed a lot of light on where to start looking properly for the cause of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.