Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply conditioning and cut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepe

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am new to electronics design and need assistance with desigining a circuit which cuts off power, once it drops below a threshold circuit.
I have looked at alot of ICs, which monitor power, but not really cut it off.
The requirement is :
I/P Power is 12VDC (from a truck)
Going into a CPU Unit.
ONce the power drops below 10VDC, we can the power supply to be cut off, so that the CPU doesn't hang due to low voltages.

any help would be appreciated, i am not after the complete design, just a few basic ICs, I can look into.

Thanks..

Instead of searching for off-the-shelf solutions why not to design your own circuit, based on a simple and easy to program microcontroller?
Take a look at:

With certain modifications PICAXE-08 can be programmed to sense the voltage and open contacts when the voltage drops below programmed (or set by an external pot) threshold and switch off power to itself and whatever else you need ..

Rgds,
IanP
:|

Thanks Ian. Its helpful. Ill read through the thread you sent me and go through it..

Added after 2 hours 16 minutes:

my design requires a neat clean power supply, for which we need to process the raw signal (nominal 12VDC). the circuit also requires surge protection, as the input from the truck can be variable (10-30vdc).
can you provide a design guide for developing surge protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.