Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply 0-30 volts 0-5 amper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jose Fausto

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
regulated power supply 0-30 volts

I am interesting in design a power supply, with the next characteristics:

Voltage: 0-30 volts
Amperes: 0-5 amperes

Shorcircuit protection
Good stability

Linear or Switching?, I think linear is most easy, and with low noise....Your opinions?
Jose

0-30 volts

Jose Fausto said:
I am interesting in design a power supply, with the next characteristics:

Voltage: 0-30 volts
Amperes: 0-5 amperes

Shorcircuit protection
Good stability

Linear or Switching?, I think linear is most easy, and with low noise....Your opinions?
Jose

Use just a little your own brain. For 30V on output you need at least 35V on the input for the lowest main voltage input. Assuming you want 1V/5A from this 0-30V linear supply, the regulator will dissipate 34V x 5A = 170VA.
You need a trick to minimise the power dissipation on the regulator (like a driven bridge, a transformer with many switched output voltages etc) .
Before believing everything is written on the web stay a little on your own feet and think.

30volts transformer

For Power Dissipation problem: It may be possible to step down the main supply by a switching power converter and then fine tune it by a linear regulator!

how to design a power supply of 30 volts

I think I can find so many designs for power supply in the web, but I am thinking in a very good power supply, where the current and volatge regulation must be excelent, and with full protection for people who make several shorcircuit.
I made some designs but allways have some problem, with protection.
Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.