Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power station- Amp calculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunvnet

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For my understanding,

In Power plant generator (any like hydro or thermal,solar etc ) thousand and thousand Voltage will generated. but how many amps will generate in power plant how to calculate the current while generating ?

my question is

1.In Power plant generating, voltage or current ? if Voltage how they are measure current or if current means how they measure the voltage ?
2. In Home AC outlet how continuolsly distributing 240v or 120v. what is current value for that both volt.
3. what is killing amp value?

Kindly get back to me with your view on this

Hi,

A generator generates voltage.
Not necessarily thousands and thousands. Maybe 120V AC or 230V AC. Often three phase.

Current will flow only if the loop is losed....for sure with an appropriate load (resistance).

Usually the generated voltage is kept constant .... almost independent of load current.
And the current may be calculated according Ohm's law.

At an outlet there is voltage. Anf no current as long as you don't connect a load.
Only if you connect a load then there will be current.

Klaus

Electricity 'generation' is usually in the tens of thousands voltage level. In 'transmission', it is often transformed in to higher voltage level upto megavolts level. Typically, these are located way above the ground and very far from each other. The voltage is stepped up to transfer the same power with lower losses since dissipated power is proportional to the squre of the current flowing in it.

It does generate thousands and thousands of watts of power.

Imagine your water supply in your faucet at home. Voltage in generation can be seen as the speed of water flowing out. Valve opening refers to the load resistance and amount of water flowing. As long as the water supply can cope up with the demand, it maintains the speed of water flow constant. We open the valve if need more water flow.

Hi,

Imagine your water supply in your faucet at home. Voltage in generation can be seen as the speed of water flowing out. Valve opening refers to the load resistance and amount of water flowing. As long as the water supply can cope up with the demand, it maintains the speed of water flow constant. We open the valve if need more water flow.

I see voltage as the pressure in a water pipe.
And I see the flow speed as current.

Without pressure there is no flow... increase preassure will increase flow speed.. when there is an opening.
There may be pressure, but no flow.

Even better is the closed system of a hydraulic system.

Klaus

Hi,

I see voltage as the pressure in a water pipe.
And I see the flow speed as current.

Klaus

I agree. I stand corrected. I was literally half asleep when analyzing how to explain this. This should be right right analysis/comparison.

I recall reading a figure of 500 A for the wires emerging from a power plant. Diameter an inch or more.

AC volt levels in the thousands, or maybe hundreds of thousands. This is distributed and stepped down (Voltage down, Amperes up) by a series of transformers until it reaches our homes.

I recall reading a figure of 500 A for the wires emerging from a power plant. Diameter an inch or more.

AC volt levels in the thousands, or maybe hundreds of thousands. This is distributed and stepped down (Voltage down, Amperes up) by a series of transformers until it reaches our homes.

Yes. Generation -> Transmission -> Distribution -> Consumer lines

Status
Not open for further replies.