Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power spectrum problem with dBm/Hz and dBm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackie1116

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Power spectrum unit ?

I want to input a -60dBm/Hz power in 4MHz ,but our signal generater can only
input dBm signal ,if i press -60dBm on signal generater, I don't know that is right?
and what is different between dBm/Hz and dBm .

Can anyone tell me !

thank a lot

Re: Power spectrum unit ?

To avoid too many explanations just set your Signal Generator modulation for CW and you get dBm/Hz = dBm.

Re: Power spectrum unit ?

It is getting harder and harder to figure out what posters are trying to ask. I URGE everyone to write as long and detailed a question as possible. The language barrier is getting fierce

Are you trying to output a single tone? Then the power in dBm/Hz is the same as the power in dBm.

Are you trying to output broadband noise at a -60 dBm/Hz level over a 4 MHz bandwidth? Then you have to modulate your signal generator with a noise source at a modulation input. Your power that would be measured on a CW power meter would be -60 dBm/Hz +10 Log (4 MHz) = -60 +66 = +6 dBm. i.e you would have 1 millionth of a watt in each hertz of bandwidth, times 4 million chunks of 1Hz bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back