Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Spectral Density of a sequence of rnadom binary PAM symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usjes

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'd like an explanation of the PSD of a sequence of independent random PAM symbols or amplitude +1 or -1. Now any standard textbook tells us that the PSD is the Fourier Transform of the autocorrelation of the signal, in my case the symbols are INDEPENDENT and => the autocorrelation is non-zero only over the symbol duration 'T', beyond this it goes to zero. Going through the maths I come out with and answer PSD = sinc^2(wT/2), it is basically just the square of the ESD of a rectangular pulse. Again any standard textbook confirms that this is the 'correct' answer. Here is my problem though; sinc^2(wT/2) has a maximum at w = 0, ie it is saying that the most powerful component of the signal is at DC. But if I simply take the mean of my sequence I get zero (the symbols are RANDOM +/-1 and => the average is zero). So, my signal has mean zero (=> zero DC component) yet the accepted 'correct' PSD for this signal implies that its most powerful component is at D.C. Can anyone explain how this can be correct ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Hi,

I'm no expert in this, but you use +/-1. Isn't it possible that others work with 0 and 1?
Then the DC component makes sense.

Klaus

Hi,

I'm no expert in this, but you use +/-1. Isn't it possible that others work with 0 and 1?
Then the DC component makes sense.

Klaus

In a word: No. The PSD for a sequence using amplitudes +/-1 will have a maximum at DC despite the signal having mean zero. The same sequence using amplitudes 1,0 will also have PSD max. at DC and while this sequence will have mean = 0.5 the max in the PSD at zero will in fact be smaller than the max in the PSD for the +/-1 sequence despite this sequence having mean 0. It is quite odd.

Isn't it that the text book chapters about relation of PSD and autocorrelation are presuming a zero mean signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back