Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Source switch IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamanan

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
I have two 220V power sources. I want to power my device with this. If One power goes off , the device need to switch to the other 220V source. Is there any IC's to do this?. Help me regarding this.

Would an IC (if such existed) be any better than a plain
old 220VAC DPDT relay? The only reason I could see, is
if coil current were a significant fraction of load current.

Switching an AC source generally introduces a short gap, with any switch type. It strongly depends on the supplied equipment, if it continues operation seamlessly.

Contactors can be expected to operate break-before-make, but you also have to assure, that a possible break contact arc is extinguished before make of the new connection, otherwise a short is generated. At delay of at least a half cycle is required for it. This implies, that a regular double throw contactor can't guarantee save operation. Usually two separate N.O. contactors with a locking mechanics and a time relay are used for switching AC sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.