Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Saving Circuit - what kind of it do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freedelphi

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Power Saving Circuit

I need to design a circuit to do the followings :

Protection:
Protect your entire electrical system and equipment from damaging externally and internally generated dirty electrical power.

Savings:
Ener/Tech provides a written warranty that its equipment cuts electrical (kwh) usage 20% or more. Filters out thermodynamics, which are heat causing, voltage stressing elements from the power line. Reducing the resistance on all electrical equipment and lights provides increased operating efficiency, and as a result uses less energy.

Longer Life:
Dirty electrical power bombards electrical circuits up to 400,000 times per hour. As a result, your electrical equipment is being gradually (sometimes suddenly) destroyed. Cleaning up dirty electrical power will increase the life span of your expensive electrical equipment.

Any Idea what kind of circuit do I need? (Filter? PF Corrector?)

TIA..

two parts

There are two parts to your design problem, filtering and economy.

The only way you can reduce the load power consumption is by preventing the line voltage from going above the nominal value and this will only work with analog type loads. Switching power supply loads will retain their efficiency with changes in line voltage. From this I suspect that this 20% reduction cannot be done on all loads. Even loads like heaters will have their thermostat cycle the current drawn and no efficiency improvement can be done by adjusting the line voltage.

The filtering can be done by many methods.

Both of these requirements have been met for many decades with ferroresonant transformers which are the most economical method.

Is the source of the quoted requirements an engineering oriented entity or is it some wishful inventor or investor?

Thanks for your reply...

The above quote is coming from Redi-volt website.

An investor planning to manufacture low cost power saving circuit for home-based usage. So it should be economical but it should show a decent saving (at least 10%)..

May be I am wrong, but I think Redivolt don't use ferroresonant transformers.. What kind of circuit do they used ?

If they offer you snake oil medical ointments, do not buy any.

I do not believe their statements. Ask them for a sample of their 20% savings written guarantee and look for restrictions on the situation.

I suspect that it is for a very rare situation that modern building codes and engineering practices avoid.

I am reminded of a company which 20 or 30 years ago claimed superior resolution for their video camera and transmission system. The got this by moving the resolution test target closer to the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back