[SOLVED] Power rating of a resistor jumper in an RF antenna path?

Status
Not open for further replies.

penneyj

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I want to jumper an 0201 footprint in line with an output RF path between a PA and chip antenna (ZigBee 2.4 GHz) using a zero ohm, and I'm looking at +20 dBm (100 mW), how do I determine the power rating of the resistor, is it directly related eg I need a 0.1w jumper? Or is RF power totally different energy and I need to calculate component power ratings differently?

Also, should I be using a 100pF cap as an RF jumper instead of 0 ohms, or does it really matter at this frequency?

Either way I'd still like to know the relationship between output RF power and power rating of components in line.

Thanks

Conductor width/gap ratio to ground should be ~1 for 50 Ohm , otherwise jumpers will appear inductive and cause a return loss problem. More precise calculations can be done with microstrip calculators and network analyzers

Jumper resistance is in a several 10 milliohm range maximal. A certain rise due to skin effect can be expected at 2.4 GHz, but not much. Jumper losses in a 50 ohm circuit will be respectively below 1 mW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…