Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] POWER PFC250 (power-one power supply) Load test need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShuKosugi

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
POWER PFC250 (power-one power supply) Load test need help

Hello Guys...really need help with my power one power supply model PFC250. I just done repair for this power supply but when I do load test the voltage drop. Even less than 50% loading.
Specs are:
V1 = 5V, 40A
V2 = 12V, 10A
V3 = 12V, 6A
V4 = 12V, 3A
I did my homework to study but still not understand, there is interesting note from the datasheet saying V1+V2 is 40A, and V3+V4 is 6.6A...what does it means?

And also:

Minimum Load, V1 Minimum load required to maintain regulation on V2
at maximum loading All other models 4 Amps

Minimum Load, V3 Minimum load required to maintain regulation on V4
at maximum loading All other models 0.6

What does it means?....please someone help me please....thanks

Re: POWER PFC250 (power-one power supply) Load test need help

http://belpowersolutions.com/sites/...ower/datasheet/bcd.00593_aa_pfc250_series.pdf

It just means what it says, that’s the maximum current you can have between those two outputs….(its likely because they are formed of “stacked windings” in the transformer, so the current in each output actually flows through the same secondary coils, so they have to have a shared current limit like that.

You say its dropping out……is this because you haven’t got sufficient loading on the regulated outputs?, -and then the non-regulated output goes into overvoltage and the PSU shuts down. Make sure you have the minimum load on all outputs……does the datasheet tell you which are the regulated outputs? , I don’t know, you can read it to find out.

- - - Updated - - -

make sue your vin is above the abs minimum too.

Thanks Treez..let me check back again the datasheet...by the way, how it calculate the total output power capacity because the specs of this power supply is only 250W. But by manual calculation:

V I Power
5 40 200
12 10 120
12 6 72
12 3 36
-------------------------
Total Power is 392W. How it can be possible? thanks

i suppose you are using PFC250-4001....yes, you just have to load it so the total max load is 250W and no more.

Hi Treez, what I mean is the PFC250-4001 specs are:
V1 = 5V, 40A = 200w
V2 = 12V, 10A = 120w
V3 = 12V, 6A = 72w
V4 = 12V, 3A = 36w
So the total power output power is 392W in which it doesn't match with 250W as per specs...I believe my calculation is not right, any idea....thanks

yes, see post#4

Hello Treez...still not getting output when load is attached in V1, V2, V3, V4....I follow the following on V1 and V2:

"Minimum Load, V1 Minimum load required to maintain regulation on V2 at maximum loading All other models 4 Amps"

But voltage output on V1, V2 go zero...Any idea? Do we still have faulty components from the power supply? Any tips to further troubleshoot? Thanks a lot.

v1 you load with 4 amps, v3 you load with 0.6 amps

Total current draw less than 40 amps,
total power less than 250w

What load you put on what output?
Do you get any output on any secondary?

I put a 20ohms 25W resistor at V3 and V4...the voltage output is maintain 12V from both. But I want to test up to the max capacity for V3 and V4. And also for V1 and V2...I have attached the drawing. Really appreciate any advice on how to connect the load effectively....thank you in advance.

PCF250_LoadTest.jpg

Last edited:

You didn't tell how much the output voltage drops. V3 & V4 are specified with 7 % load regulation, not extremely stable.

If the voltage is dropping more than a few percent, I would consider the power supply defective. In this case, it's not the point of loading it effectively.

V3, V4 read 12Vdc when I load 20 ohms...current 0.6A based on calculation. Anyone help please draw the wiring on how the connection of load should be to make it work. Thanks

Hello...for the update...i just installed directly the power supply into our system and it works.
Though still doesn't understand why load test can make it right...thanks EDABOARD.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.