Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power-on-reset for flip flops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCravon

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I anticipate a problem using D-flip flops in my circuit and powering up my system where i don't know what state the flip flops are in after the power up. I was wondering if i could implement a simple power-on-reset like shown below in order to ensure the flip-flops always powering up in a reset state? Will it work? I mean, will it need an edge to reset? Or is holding the R-input low after power on sufficient?

Power on reset.PNG

Also, what is best to do with the S-input if i don't use it? Just tie it to VCC?

in your circuit ,for R input, the cap (100nf) in parallel with R9 is redundant.
also , you need not have two caps( 10nf and 100nf in parallel in R input).
one 100nf is sufficient.

the circuit will be in reset state for approx 1millisec.

for S input , just tie it to VCC.

The two 100nf capacitors where suggested somewhere I was reading about this to compensate for variations in VCC. Should I just remove them?

compensating variations with capacitor , will also have effect on resetting time.
but in this case , you can just remove that across R9.

Hi,

You say simple.. It uses 5 (4) devices.

Why not use a single reset device? Like LM809. It includes a defined threshold voltage and it includes a defined delay time.

Btw: Using one single capacitor to GND gives the expected filter, using two capacitors will eliminate the filter. Using two capacitors makes no sense.

Hope this helps

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back