Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Line Communication for Home Automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxppl

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am a electrical student currently doing my final year project. The title is to use gsm phone to control home appliances through sms. For the home automation part, I plan to use tda5051a (power line modem) as the converter. My question is:

1. Is this tda5051a applicable in Malaysia? (If not, can you guys suggest other alternatives?)

2. I found the application note of tda5051a in the internet. Can I just build the circuit in the note?

Please help me. Thx :)

its a modem chip by NXP... its baud rate is very slow of about 600 or 1200.. Will that be enough for you application ... you can interface this to controller directly as shown in this circuit... i dont know which document you are referring to ... have a look at this,,,

**broken link removed**

---------- Post added at 11:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

you can also go for readymade modems available easily like the one in this site...

N S K E L E C T R O N I C S
Sunrom Technologies, Your Source for Development

thank you for your reply.
yes. i plan to build the application circuit in the note page 15.
i dont really understand the circuit on where shud i connect the appliances?
or i just connect the 250V (AC) to home plug point then i will be able to control the home appliances that connected to other plug point.

this part confuses me. Hope u get my question. Thx :)

you need to connect home appliance to 230v and using a relay control the ON OFF of the appliance instead of the switch on the wall....

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

that relay is controlled your program in the controller, and controller will control relay on off when it reads the message from gsm.

Reactions: waxppl

waxppl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Most power line modems are just data carriers. They allow you to insert data at one wall outlet and retrieve it at another on the same power circuit. It's up to you to decide how you prepare the data and what you do with it at the far end but it usually involves you building some kind of decoder and interface to the appliance. There are several 'standard' protocols in use and you can buy controllers for them. If you use a modem you can choose how to use it yourself in whatever way you want.

Another option is to use power line Ethernet adapters. These work at 10Mb/s instead of typically 1200 b/s but they need more support at each end to do anything useful.

Brian.

waxppl

thx. i think i hav clearer picture on the circuit dy.
so it means i wil hav to connect the circuit diagram in app note page 15 to home plug point.
then the appliances that want to be controlled will connect to other plug point with a relay on it.

am i right? correct me if i were wrong :D

another question: for my project where phone gsm modem (SE K700i) is used, is it necesary to have a pc to control for the home automation part?

the connection between the gsm communication and the home automation also confuses me :(

Hi,

You can use a uC to bridge the phone and automation-circuitry. SE K700i support serial-communication, hence it is easy to connect to a uC.

Also SE K700i only support PDU mode SMS. (You can find lot of threads here on interfacing phones to uC). Hence when you decode SMS, you need to know about PDU decoding. ( Otherwise you may buy Text-mode-SMS supported modem).

Thank you

waxppl

hi,

i see. so a computer is not really necesary according to what u said. ya i understood that the phone only support pdu format.

so what i plan is to do this way:
i will send the at command to the gsm phone using uC to retrieve the first message from the phone where the data is in pdu format. then i will use the data to switch on and off a particular appliances with the help of relay and the tda5051a powerline modem.

do u think this is workable?
thank you.

Exactly,

After you read SMS, you may delete it; This will save next incoming SMS on same location that uC read. (Otherwise use a pointer for SMS memory read location)

Thanks,

waxppl

yea. i think there is an at command to delete the 1st message in the phone.
i tried using it before with the hyperterminal in pc.

another question: If i were to use tda5051a which i think it receives x10 commands (am i right?), is that mean i need to convert the pdu data received into x10 command using the uC and send it to the tda5051a. the question is do i need to program the tda5051a or it will automatically function as shown in the table below:

35_1298004285.jpg

or is it another uC needed at each of the appliances that i wished to control?

thanks.

the pdf document is another journal i was refering to and it is quite confusing. please help :)

Attachments

• home automation.pdf
    250.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Hi,

In K700, to delete SMS in 0th location of selected SMS-memory "AT+CMGD=0" is used. (**broken link removed**)
You must do PDU decoding in uC. It's even possible in MPLAB assembly.

I have not used tda5051a (Hope you will share your experience here)

To transmit data you need one pair of tda5051a & uC; at every end you wish to receive data another pair of tda5051a & uC is needed. To control several devices you can use single pair of tda5051a & uC (because uC has several output pins)

Thanks

Hi,

Is that mean each of the plug point that connect to the appliances also need a pair of tda5051a and uC? if this is the case, the whole system would be very costly...

Hi,

No, you shouldn't. Since uC has several output lines, you may connect several appliances (which are close to each other) to a single uC. It's based on the area you tackle and how many output pins in your uC. As a example you may need tda5051a and uC pair for 1 or 2 rooms.

Thanks

hi, i am Gokul from India.. I want to know whether this project is already there or u r the first to do..!
If i am not wrong, ur project is to control all the home appliances using sms through GSM connection from ur GSM enabled mobile phone!! the network within the home is connected by powerline communication, and so the decoded data from ur SMS should reach all the appliances through powerline communication..

is that right?? Are u the first to do?

THANK YOU:) -waiting for ur reply:)

hi, i am Gokul from India.. I want to know whether this project is already there or u r the first to do..!
If i am not wrong, ur project is to control all the home appliances using sms through GSM connection from ur GSM enabled mobile phone!! the network within the home is connected by powerline communication, and so the decoded data from ur SMS should reach all the appliances through powerline communication..

is that right?? Are u the first to do?

THANK YOU:) -waiting for ur reply:)

Hi Gokul,
I don't think I am the 1st to do because the modem TDA5051A is already available years ago.
Anyway I am still working on it.

i had read this 6 to 7 years ago, when i was planning to do my 1st sms based project... but there was no POC for that, and neither was guidance... so i broke my mobile and implemented my first sms project in 2004.....
maybe this is implemented as the idea was there from a very long time... only thing is they might have not hit the market as there are flaws in the concept...

what i thought was, to control the appliances using SMS is already there.. But, is it that Power Line Communication is involved in it?

i think power line communication should be involved as well since it is to control home appliances which are connected to home electrical system.

Status
Not open for further replies.