Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power inductor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

irideforchrist

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all!
I am currently working on a 30 volt 30amp power supply based on a lm317 and a bypass circuit but, I am finding that the size of the transformer required for such high amperage is astronomical... I came accross some Toroidal transformers that would provide the correct amperage 30 volt at 0.9 kVA but they too are expensive & heavy (arround 10 pounds and 8 inches in diameter).

My main quiestion is...Can power toroidal power inductors boost the output current of a transformer or, what would?

Does anyone know where I can find a high amperage transformer? Ive thought of putting 3 10 amp transformers in parallel but thats going to be just as expensive.

how do they typically provide high amperage to high current devices such a computer power supply or a flat screen tv without these heavy transformers?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Jeremy

Switching power supply is used in most electronics devices today. They have lower weight, can be smaller of course.

Trafo 30V 30A not so huge like you say, you should see trafo 10KW and up.

Dear irideforchrist
Hi
As tpetar said the switching power supplies are more suitable . and lower price , lower dimensions , and higher efficiency are profits of SMPS .
But if you want to use linear PSU , no problem to increase the current you can use an DLC network and then a hiccup current limiter .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.