Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power factor correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

SridharanR

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,
I have designed boost converter (10W) with input side uncontrolled recitfier. My aim is to maintain power factor near to unity. in that while switch ON the power supply, immediatly MOSFET(IRF840) getting more heat and later damage. Can any one help and tell me the procedure how to design inductor,capacitor etc.which type of inductor suitable for this rating and also MOSFET:!:

What are the schematics you using. Kindly post it.

And what is your spec like input, output voltage & current.

**broken link removed**

I hope its helps you.

Hi friends,
I have designed boost converter (10W) with input side uncontrolled recitfier. My aim is to maintain power factor near to unity. in that while switch ON the power supply, immediatly MOSFET(IRF840) getting more heat and later damage. Can any one help and tell me the procedure how to design inductor,capacitor etc.which type of inductor suitable for this rating and also MOSFET
Hi SridharanR
What are your specifications ? what kind of mosfet you have used ? what is your PWM frequency ? what is value of your inductor ? what kind of PWM driver ?

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

specifications-10W
MOSFET type - (N-channel )IRF840
PWM frequency -1Khz
opto-coupler TTL based gate driver

Please specify the Output voltage & current. And input voltage

That is useful for us.

PWM frequency (1KHz) is low. It is between 20KHz-100KHz, if ferrite core inductor is used.

This is not a question that can be properly answered in a pair of paragraphs.

The white paper that amayilsamy provided has all the information you require.

The important thing though, is that you will have to solve some mathematical equations to calculate the basic power stage component requirements...there is no other way around.
And to solve those equations you will need to determine the required input voltage range, output voltage and current, and assume a target operating frequency.

Later, you will have to select the driver for those components. Much more reading and many more calculations will be required.

specifications-10W
MOSFET type - (N-channel )IRF840
PWM frequency -1Khz
opto-coupler TTL based gate driver
Hi again
Of course your frequency is too low . and i suspect that your inductor value is improper .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.