Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power factor corrected forward converter with big input capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
A customer has sent us an 150W isolated SMPS, which is "supposed to be" Power Factor corrected. Its a One Tran Forward, with large L leakage in the transformer, (instead of an output inductor). It has a high voltage reset cap (for resetting the transformer) which is kept below 500V by a regenerative SMPS snubber, which bleeds the reset cap down so it stays below 500V. (just shovels the energy into the primary DC Bus)
It has a 5u6 Film cap after the mains rectifier bridge.........we dont have a harmonics tester, but do you confirm with us that there is no way that this thing can pass mains harmonics to EN61000-3-2 , class D with that size of capcaitor after the bridge?

Just so we know what i am talking about...the attached is a Flyback PFC in LTspice and jpeg....changing C7 to 5u6 (it should be around 330n) shows how poor the mains harmonics become with this size of cap ...i know its a different topology, but the principle is the same,.

Attachments

• PFC with big input cap.jpg
    PFC with big input cap.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 71
  • PFC Flybk BCM LT3799 150w 240vac_big cap.zip
    2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Looks like you did not even measure harmonic currents in your simulation setup. Does it exceed class D limits?

Also as mentioned in your other recent PFC thread, your TBS1052 FFT is good enough for a pre-compliance estimation.

Thanks, i will get round to measuring it...but i dont know if i trust the sim to do it right.....to do it like the actual test instrument on the real smps.
Also, as you know, there is a general rule of thumb in PFC stages, that your inut capacitance must be limited to some 220nF/100W......so using 5.6uF for 150W is way , way too much capacitance.
...we are talking Mains Harmonics fail, surely?...though i cant confirm without the actual test box......(You know the one i mean...it quickly gives you all 39 Mains Harmonics when you power your SMPS through it.)

How about your initial question? Post #3 and #4 don't contribute to an answer.

I see harmonics clearly below class A and D limits with 5.6 uF cap at 150 W.

Thanks, Harmonics from 3 to 39?...you checked all of them?

To provide further proof, adding a decent size input capacitor is the easiest way to solve input filter oscillations in SMPS, and also to get a conducted EMC pass.....so if adding a relatively big input cap was OK, then everyone would do it...but they dont....This is the proof-without-measurement, that PFC with > say 2uF per 100W is going to fail on Mains Harmonics......or be harder to pass

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.