Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power factor and current measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuu

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I need to design a domestic energy monitoring system using Hall Effect current sensor, I know how I will get Voltage, but I am not sure how I will get the current and Power factor. Will I still be able to get that "sensed current" after being converted to proportional Voltage?
Is there better and simpler method than Hall Effect transducer?
I am stuck on ideas and time is running out.

Circuit diagram will be a "big" bonus.
I appeciate your contribution.

Why don't you start with a reference design for a commercially available energy measurement chip, e.g. from Analog Devices? There application notes also given valuable hints about useful measurement methods. You didn't tell, how you intend to process the input signals and determine power factor. Apart from the said dedicated measurement chips, you can also use general uP or analog circuits.

Regarding current measurement, if you are targetting to an AC measurement (I guess so), a Hall Effect sensor is not first choice in my opinion.

Thanks for a response. Can you recommend commercially available reference chip?
As for processing I need to design a system which will measure power consumption from the main power meter by clamping the current sensor on live wire get proportional voltage, pass this on A/D Converter and use microprocessor to do calculations. That is why i need to know how I can measure power factor and Can I recover the current.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back