Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power amplifier design

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogu_biologu

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've recently built a power amplifier for my computer, but i have a lot of noise on 12V line.

Any idea to remove it?

Use common mode (both lines, +12V and GND) suppression chocke rated for at least 2A dc and inductance ≈1mH and after it combination of capacitors:1000µF/100nF.

regards ..

If the noise is still there you can add an small resistance in series with inductance, calcultate the resistance for a 0.5 volt drop. This resistance will transform your noise in heat. But you will loose some little amplifier output power.

i think both solutions create problems.

1. we can't make a ground with the soundboard, because we'll short-circuit the
-12V ( ground ) coil.
i've tested it with a big primary coil of a transformer, and 10.000uF capacitors, and it doesn't work when the supply current of the amplifier is low.

2. the "filter" gamma with a resistance is worse, so the supply voltage for the power amlifier will be in function of the level of the input signal. ( that's not good!!)

The best solution is to built an linear power supply with a transformer ( very big ), and to supply the amplifier.

A good solution will be:

a. to built a SMPS, to obtain about 16-18V from 12V
b. After SMPS insert a linear regulator, like LM7812, followed by 1000uF/100nF capacitors ( last should be ceramic).

Which 12V line are you mentioning about? Is it the 12V line from the PSU of the computer? The PSU is a switching voltage regulator instead of linear regulator. Maybe the switching causes the noise in the 12V line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back