Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power amplifier design input impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

akhilpaulv

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

i want to design a power driver at 900 MHz. For this application i chose NPTB00004 transistor from maccom. In the datasheet they provide optimum load impedance and optimum source impedance for maximum power.
**broken link removed**
I designed a matching circuit for input and output as per the datasheet value for 900 MHz
**broken link removed**
From the Sparameter model from the website i simulated the amplifier but the S parameter values are at 900 MHz is not less than -10 dB. After analyzing stability parameter K , the amplifier is not stable in that frequency.
**broken link removed**
please help me to find proper design for the power amplifier ?

Attachments

• stability.PNG
    stability.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 131
  • impedance macthing.PNG
    impedance macthing.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 130
  • loadpull data.PNG
    loadpull data.PNG
    167.4 KB · Views: 148

It seems that you got confused with the optimal source/load impedance. The datasheet says 52.6+ j22.8 as the optimal load impedance. But you put a capacitor in series, this will end up with load impedance of 52.6- j22.8. Probably the same for the optimal source impedance.

It seems that you got confused with the optimal source/load impedance. The datasheet says 52.6+ j22.8 as the optimal load impedance. But you put a capacitor in series, this will end up with load impedance of 52.6- j22.8. Probably the same for the optimal source impedance.

i put it for conjugate matching.

i put it for conjugate matching.

impedance.PNG
Just have a quick look at the datasheet. My understanding is that you should have 52.6 + j22.8 as the optimal overall load impedance. This means that the output impedance of the amplifier is 52.6 - j22.8. Now the overall load impedance must be negative-imaginary part since you insert a capacitor in series.

output.PNGinput.PNGcomplete simulation.PNG

as per your comment i did the simulation. Still the stability parameter is not greater than one in 900 MHz. The input reflection coefficient is not less than -10 dB. Can you please tell me where i am wrong ?

View attachment 151573View attachment 151574View attachment 151575

as per your comment i did the simulation. Still the stability parameter is not greater than one in 900 MHz. The input reflection coefficient is not less than -10 dB. Can you please tell me where i am wrong ?
The problem may come from the s-parameter of your amplifier. Have you double checked that the amplifier s-parameter matches with the datasheet? As you can see, different IQD affect the input/output impedance significantly.

new simulated file.PNG
i wrongly entered the impedance value in the simulator. Now i matched both in put and output, still the amplifier is not stable in that region. Can you help me to stabilize the transistor?

View attachment 151585
i wrongly entered the impedance value in the simulator. Now i matched both in put and output, still the amplifier is not stable in that region. Can you help me to stabilize the transistor?

Could you plot the S12 as well? The isolation is also critical for stability. I also notice that your S11 and S22 are still too high. Try to make perfect match at the central frequency. If the K is still not large enough in the band of the signal, try to use higher-order matching network to increase the matching bandwidth.

Alternative solution is to add attenuation at input/output or both. This will reduce S21 and S12, also reduce S11 and S22. The stability will be higher by sacrificing the gain and noise figure.

You should study more on how to design an amplifier concept.Having a Stability Factor less than Unity doesn't say that the Amplifier will absolutely oscillate.It's a Conditionally Stability state and many Power Amplifiers work at this state.You can find a solution practically by tweaking if you wish a Unconditional Stability but this might not be possible in every time.
900MHz_Match2.png900MHz_Match_out2.png

View attachment 151585
Just remind another thing. The S-parameter is obtained by assuming ideal load/source terminations. For your case, you need to optimize both input and output impedance. When you put an impedance matching network at output, the input impedance is NOT the same as S11 of the amplifier any more since your load impedance is not 50 Ohm. That is probably why you didn't get the perfect S11 and S22.

The solution of this problem is either optimize the input and output impedance in the same time, just like BigBoss did. Another solution is to optimize the input and output impedance iteratively:
1. First put an output impedance matching network based on the the S22 of amplifier. Then you will get zero reflection at output port, in the condition of ideal source impedance present at the input port;

2. Calculate the S-parameter of the new network composed by amplifier and output impedance matching network. We have obtained that S22=0 after step 1;

3. Find the optimal input impedance matching network based on the S11 of the new network composed by amplifier and output impedance matching network;

4. After inserting the optimal input impedance matching network, you will get S11 = 0 of the new network composed by amplifier and output impedance matching network. But the S22 of new network composed by amplifier and input/output impedance matching network will not be zero any more;

5. Resign the output impedance matching network based on the S22 of the network composed by input impedance matching network and amplifier;

6. Resign the output impedance matching network
Until both S11 and S22 are satisfied.

Of course, if you have the tool that can optimize input/output impedance matching network in the same time, thing would be much easier.

matched schematics.PNG
now i matched the transistor and added one 6 Ohm resistor in series with the input. Now the transistor is conditionally stable. I matched the transistor for maximum power so is it necessary to get S22 less than -10 dB ?

View attachment 151655
now i matched the transistor and added one 6 Ohm resistor in series with the input. Now the transistor is conditionally stable. I matched the transistor for maximum power so is it necessary to get S22 less than -10 dB ?

Yes, since your load is 50 Ohm ideal, maximum output power = minimum returnloss.

It sees that S22 is still too high.

You still try to match S22.. Power Amplifiers don't use S22 to get max. Output Power.
Optimum Load Impedance has already been given in the datasheet, what you otherwise are looking for ??All you have to realize a Output Matching Circuit that present this Optimum Impedance to the Transistor..Input Presented Impedance is also given, design your PA under these circumstances..that's it..

You still try to match S22.. Power Amplifiers don't use S22 to get max. Output Power.
Optimum Load Impedance has already been given in the datasheet, what you otherwise are looking for ??All you have to realize a Output Matching Circuit that present this Optimum Impedance to the Transistor..Input Presented Impedance is also given, design your PA under these circumstances..that's it..

BigBoss is right! I also got confused. Actually you just need to do reverse impedance matching, let the source/load be the same as the datasheet requirement. If the K is not good enough, just add a small attenuator to make sure the stability.

If i want to change the VDS value to 32 voltage and maintain the 50 mA Ids then optimum load data given the datasheet will change ?

S22 is generally not important for RFPAs. The load impedance is determined for optimal output performance, not for conjugate matching. As for S11, usually the input matching network is designed such that S11 is small. -10dB is not too bad. Often stability and S11 can be improved by adding gate shunt resistors, though this will also decrease the overall power gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back