Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power-Amplifier can use as power supply ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jengsyber

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want use power supply 0 - 220V, 20 - 400Hz and i have idea use power-amplifier it can be use?

Yes, audio power amplifier can be used as power supply, but don't forget, that You have to supply amplifier itself with DC voltage.

Are you thinking of turning an audio amplifier into a power supply? Theoretically it can be done.

You can input a weak audio signal of any frequency, and get a strong signal out. You can convert it to DC with diodes.

Of course you are aware something can blow if you attach a load which is a very low ohm value.

And a caution in the other direction: An audio amp is designed to have a load of several ohms attached. If you operate it with little or no load, something can be damaged, with the likelihood being greater the higher the volume is cranked up. I unwittingly did this to my guitar amp with the speaker disconnected, and it blew a tube.

Audio amplifiers are designed for low impedance drive. The power of audio amplifier depends upon the lad connected to it, for example 100W rms power amplifier with 4Ohm can deliver 200W at 2 Ohm load.
You have to find out input impedance of the equipment before connecting to an audio amplifier. However transformer coupled amplifiers is safe.

Just to be on the safe side of things, most audio amplifiers are designed for a maximum load power factor of 45º.

Well worth checking the load before using 'in anger'

Mik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back