Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power adapter compatibility question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slevin_K

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need a 4.5V/200mA power adapter (for a wireless headphones transmitter), but can't find one with these exact specs. The closest ones I can get are 5V/200mA, 4V/200mA or 4.5V/250mA. Which of these 3 options should work fine without damaging the device?

Thanks in advance.

4.5V/250mA will work fine , you should select a power adapter with the same voltage (4.5v) and a current rating of 200mA or more.
The current rating is the max current that the adapter can provide, any load that uses a lower current than that will work fine.

Alex

I need a 4.5V/200mA power adapter (for a wireless headphones transmitter)

So your transmitter needs 4.5Volts power source.
That is what it must be .... 4.5V.

Device itself takes 200mA current out of power adapter, so that is the minimum
current your power must be able to supply for the device.

If your power adapter is 4.5V and 1000mA , transmitter takes only 200mA out of it.

So select 4.5V / 250mA (or more mA´s)

Regards KAK

Thanks for the fast replies!
So if only the voltage is important and the amperage spec is just the minimum that's really good news. I already have a 4.5V/500mA adapter around the house so I don't have to buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.