Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Potential Voltage drop issues in DC System

Status
Not open for further replies.

robismyname

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a DC system that runs on 12VDC. In the system there is a very important component (DC to DC converter) that drives the power to my load.

I would like to know.

1) Voltage Drop across battery meter display? Is it just P=(V^2/R), solve for R then V=I*R, solve for V?
2) Voltage Drop across Device X.
3) Since Device X is not in series with the DC to DC converter like the Voltage meter display will this impact the input voltage of the DC to DC converter due to its voltage drop? Or will it just drain the battery faster?

There is a charging system in place to charge the battery for a certain threshold/condition.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2011-11-29_11.19.40.png
    Screenshot-2011-11-29_11.19.40.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 118

"Voltage Drop across battery meter display?", to monitor the current (if it is displayed) a low value resistor is placed in series with the incoming line. Normally this is chosen to give a 100mV drop at full current range. It could be lower, see the manufacturers data for this unit.
"Voltage Drop across Device X." It is 12V.
Device X, will not effect the DC feed to your 12V converter. It will drain the battery faster then if it was not there.
Frank

"Voltage Drop across battery meter display?"

I drew the sketch of the voltage meter display wrong. I made it look like a Ampmeter vs. a voltage meter, I attached new sketch.

Here is the voltage meter I am talking about. **broken link removed**

Attachments

• Screenshot-2011-11-29_12.40.28.png
    Screenshot-2011-11-29_12.40.28.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 98

Status
Not open for further replies.