Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pot from equaliser controls of a stereo unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

boylesg

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have extracted some odd looking rotary pots from a stereo unit. They were from the graphic equalizer controls - usually these are sliding pots.op

But these rotary ones have seven electrical contacts at the bottom rather than the usual 3.

Can any one tell me anything about these types of pots? What are all the contacts about?

On the top it tells me that the pot is a 10k one (104) but my multimeter measures considerably more resistance between some of the contacts.

Since they're from a stereo, they're probably dual potentiometers, i.e. two potentiometers mounted together on one shaft.

So I'd expect 6 pins, 3 for each pot. Maybe the 7'th one's connected to the outside case and shaft so you can ground it to keep hum and noise out.

- - - Updated - - -

...the pot is a 10k one (104),,,
Wouldn't 104 be 100K?

Wouldn't 104 be 100K?

Sorry 100k

Since they're from a stereo, they're probably dual potentiometers, i.e. two potentiometers mounted together on one shaft.

So I'd expect 6 pins, 3 for each pot. Maybe the 7'th one's connected to the outside case and shaft so you can ground it to keep hum and noise out.

OK - the arrangement of the pins totally threw me. I have not seen double gang pots with their pins arranged like that.

Would you mind to show a photo?

This is the sort of thing I am used to seeing: **broken link removed**

But imagine this device with all the leads in a single row on one piece of circuit board. And with an extra lead making a total of seven.

"This sort of thing" is a standard stereo potentiometer. I guess, most Edaboard members taking part in the discussion have some in their drawer. Unfortunately the photo doesn't answser the question what's the matter with your device having "all the leads in a single row on one piece of circuit board".

If you don't have a photo or other results, there's nothing to discuss for the time being. You may want to identify the internal circuit and effect of turning the shaft with an ohmmeter.

"This sort of thing" is a standard stereo potentiometer. I guess, most Edaboard members taking part in the discussion have some in their drawer. Unfortunately the photo doesn't answser the question what's the matter with your device having "all the leads in a single row on one piece of circuit board".

If you don't have a photo or other results, there's nothing to discuss for the time being. You may want to identify the internal circuit and effect of turning the shaft with an ohmmeter.

Nothing is wrong with it - I just didn't recognize it as a standard double gang pot. I was thinking there must be some other obscure type of pot that I was not familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back