Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PortMapping inside if statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bman900

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Well I have some code that basically takes 3 buttons and to increase counters and then I add them together and store in a register. This is used to enter amount of a product some one might want for example.

But then I want to use these same 3 buttons to simulate the entering of money into the system. So the way I was thinking is using a switch to actually switch between the 2 occasion I will need.

Now I now you can't simply do this since portmaping can not be used inside a process which is where an if statement lives.

I then tried generate but that did not work either. So any one have any idea?

Here is the code that am talking about, but only works with 1 register and for one thing.

Code:
L1: block1 generic map(8) port map(BUTTON1, BUTTON2, RST, CIN, COUT,SUM1);	--adds the 2 values toghter from 2 counters that 
	--is controled by button 1 and 2
	L2: count10 generic map(8) port map(BUTTON3, RST, BUTTON3COUNT);	--this will control another counter with button 3
	L3: FA generic map(8) port map(SUM1,BUTTON3COUNT,CIN2,SUM2,COUT2); -- now we add the sum from the first 2 counters with 
	--the value from counter 2

Regarding the question addressed in the title: Yes you're right, it simply doesn't work.
I then tried generate but that did not work either.
You should look sharp and analyze which error is brought up in this case. I guess, its a "multiple drivers" issue, because the same signal is driven concurrently by multiple component instances. That's not a reasonable way to implement alternative data pathes. Each instance needs it's individual output signal, then you need to switch between the signals, e.g. using a conditional assignment, or in a process.

Regarding the question addressed in the title: Yes you're right, it simply doesn't work.

You should look sharp and analyze which error is brought up in this case. I guess, its a "multiple drivers" issue, because the same signal is driven concurrently by multiple component instances. That's not a reasonable way to implement alternative data pathes. Each instance needs it's individual output signal, then you need to switch between the signals, e.g. using a conditional assignment, or in a process.

Yes, I know what you are talking about and this is exactly how I switch between my 3 registers to display them on the 7 segment but the problem in this case is that in the first instance I have to work on 8 bits since it will be multiplied and in the second case I must work with 15 bits. I tried using a signal inside the generic map() but I have found out it needs to be static which is not good for me.

If there would be a way to somehow make the number inside the generic map() changeable I can just use the signal method you talked about above.

If you need to change the generic value, you either have to redefine the component, or use multiple instances with different generic value, and multiplex the output signals.

What do you mean by redefine the component?

This is how one of my components look like:

Code:
component block1 is	
	generic(N: natural);
	port(COUNT1,COUNT2, RST : in std_logic;
	CIN: in std_logic;
	COUT: out std_logic;
	SUM: out std_logic_vector(N-1 downto 0));
end component;

If you need to change a generic at run time, why is it a generic and not a port?

If you need to change a generic at run time, why is it a generic and not a port?

Well I don't know how to set natural numbers with ports but I think I solved the problem by introducing an enable.

you can have any type in a port map:

Code:
entity my_ent is
  port (
    a : in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);
    b : in natural;
    c : in boolean;
    d : out my_exotic_type;
    e : out real;  --this is not synthesisable
    f : out integer
  );
end entity my_ent;

Yes of course natural type can be used in ports. But referring to your post #5, changing a generic value dynamically that sets port signal widths doesn't make sense. But may be this is, because you never showed an example of the real problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back