Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[POLL] Program your FPGA?

What do you use to program your FPGA? (If you answer please give an explanation why in your reply!)

• C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VHDL / Verilog

• LabVIEW FPGA (with compactRIO card)

• Some other languages/tools (please explain which)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mobile-it

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
program fpga circuit

I was wondering what you guys use to program your FPGA's?

I am self experimenting with some of the routes to program an FPGA.

Hi

We can program FPGAs in many ways. But always VHDL and Verilog gives better design. Because especially VHDL programming is very nearer to real digital design. Verilog is also good, it is look like C language and user friendly. But comparatively VHDL is very good for high end digital design.

Rgards,
Vishwa

mobile-it

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello,

Yo need to learn Harware Description Langauges like VHDL or Verilog for FPGA design...

Good free links / tools are

Xilinx, Altera or Aldec tools...

mobile-it

hi,

I'm always use verilog or vhdl to progam FPGA. This is because these are the only language that I'm very familiar with for FPGA programming even ASIC design.

-no_mad

mobile-it

i use Verilog because i had learnt C and Verilog looked alot like C so i decided to stick with Verilog.

mobile-it

I use VHDL.

BTW:anyone use LabVIEW FPGA? is it possible to program user designed FPGA circuit using LabVIEW FPGA?

mobile-it

VHDL... i love strong type programming... no ambiguity...

the first language tht i really like...

always use VHDL for FPGA/CPLD coding...

regards,
sp

mobile-it

cdcll said:
I use VHDL.

BTW:anyone use LabVIEW FPGA? is it possible to program user designed FPGA circuit using LabVIEW FPGA?

The information that I have at this moment is telling me that you can't program every FPGA with Labview FPGA. You have to use the RIO hardware or other NI hardware... I think the labview FPGA system would only become revolutional when they can provide us with a tool where you can program every FPGA in their software (Labview). But at the moment they don't support this feature... Or does someone else has some other information?

mobile-it said:
cdcll said:
I use VHDL.

The information that I have at this moment is telling me that you can't program every FPGA with Labview FPGA. You have to use the RIO hardware or other NI hardware... I think the labview FPGA system would only become revolutional when they can provide us with a tool where you can program every FPGA in their software (Labview). But at the moment they don't support this feature... Or does someone else has some other information?

Yes, I got the same info, so I think very little designers use LabVIEW FPGA, hope one day we are able to use it to program every FPGA.

mobile-it

Hi
i use VHDL / Verilog because there are more
resurces in the internet.
but i think that labview is becomming an interresting
option!

regards

TheSniper (+)

mobile-it

Actually it's quite easy, VHDL= VHSIC Hardwar Description Language

c, labview,... is not made for such puposes

mobile-it

I like VHDL because i start with vhdl.

mobile-it

I am a beginer and use vhdl because there is a standart and you could find many thing to use. But maybe i will need to use a MicroBlaze processor and in that case i will work with C and VHDL

mobile-it

isnt the microblaze core available in verilog?

mobile-it

I prefer to program FPGA with verilog, coz i started with Verilog & it is very easy to learn. On other programing languages, verilog is specially prefered coz of its built in features for Hardware

mobile-it

verilog_coder said:
our company using verilog. And thats the only HDL i know :)

which company are you working in???

CARE?? AND-OR Logic ??? NDC??? AWC???

mobile-it

I use VHDL because:
1-I was taught to use VHDL in university.
2-I find programming with VHDL very fun, because you have to think how the hardware should be designed and how it should behave to be able to use VHDL

mobile-it

I'm the only one who picked #4 (Some other languages/tools.)

I have to program in AHDL (Altera HDL) due to my company's continuing adoption of the language.

It's an HDL without procedural blocks! Everything is concurrent, making simple counters more complex than they should be.

If I had a choice, though, I'd program in Verilog.

- Nobody

mobile-it

Status
Not open for further replies.