Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Poll: ASIC design tools for Solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

antipattern

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I bought a Sun Ultra 400 eventually after struggling with various PC related tools. I would like to get some recommendations to fill up my ASIC design tool chain on my toy.

Because I want to learn some skills that would be useful for industrial use, please suggest me the best proven tools that I should invest my time to.

I have some selections already:

1. modelsim
2. synopsys synthesis

Thanks,

u might want to look at vcs or nc-verilog in simulator, performance is far much better than modelsim.

for backend, silicon ensembler
for timing closure analysis, synopsys primetime.

cheers

for backend, the apollo(for p$r) and star_serials(for physical verify) can also be a good choice.

I prefr Cadence NC-verilog.
because It's more IEEE standard than modelsim and fast.
and so on.
I think you would learn nassda hsim
for Full chip verification.

I prefr Cadence NC-verilog + Debussy

my personal opinion:
system/algorithm: c@dence spw
frontend: S*y*n*o*p*s*y*s
synthesis:design*compiler;
dft:tetra*max
sta:prime*time
sim:V*C*S Or C@dence Nc-veri*log
Debug: Deb*ussy could be a good choice
backend:A*van*t! suite
C@dence Silicon*ensemble
Actually it Depends on what you wanna do.

Besides the tools, another important thing is the design KITS. Libary from the same ASIC vendor must be used from simulation, synthesis, DFT, place route, LVS/DRC/ERC, and even transister simulation.
It is difficult to find such a good design Kit that support all the tools.
Who can provide a design kit?
It is more difficult to find a KITS than the software, but without the KITS, software is no real use.

i agree appleleaf , the thing the most important is design rule or library from vendor i think ,especially in our GuoJia.

I know a company setup a set of library from synthesis to physical cell and sim module for a vendor ,it costs 100,000 usd.

I think it is more valueble than the software to a sucessful design and is really needed to study.

i want to know how about ultra 10 (medium configuration on sun's web)usage and performance for ic design.

yuanjun

appleleaf said:
Besides the tools, another important thing is the design KITS. Libary from the same ASIC vendor must be used from simulation, synthesis, DFT, place route, LVS/DRC/ERC, and even transister simulation.
It is difficult to find such a good design Kit that support all the tools.
Who can provide a design kit?
It is more difficult to find a KITS than the software, but without the KITS, software is no real use.

I agree too, for study purpose, you can visit:
h**p://www.c@dence.ncsu.edu/CDK.html (t for *, a for @)
for something useful (NCSU C@dence Design Kit),
And, in asic flow, a front designer can get the design kit from the design service provider, like TI, f@r@d@y, etc.

Software is useful when you know what you wanna do.

6502 said:
i want to know how about ultra 10 (medium configuration on sun's web)usage and performance for ic design.

yuanjun

Mr. yuan: in my experience, ultra 10 is good enough for a design less than 100k gates. (for single user only :( )

thank you , whatever .

i think size of 100k is enough for my design .

yj

antipattern said:
Hi,

I bought a Sun Ultra 400 eventually after struggling with various PC related tools. I would like to get some recommendations to fill up my ASIC design tool chain on my toy.

Because I want to learn some skills that would be useful for industrial use, please suggest me the best proven tools that I should invest my time to.

I have some selections already:

1. modelsim
2. synopsys synthesis

Thanks,
For my opinion:
Simulation: Modelsim
Synthesis: Synopsys
Layout : Cadence

Tool for asic

Here is my list for my last finished work :
synopsys dc,primttime,formality,vcs(like it),
transeda cover
asic vendor's floorplan tool and p&r tool and gate sim tool.

Design database management

How about design database management tool? Will RCS or VCS be just
fine? Or is there any good one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back