Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Points. What purpose do they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.edaboard.com/xperience.php?go=earn see this.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

you get points for answering, creating blog, if others vote helpful for your answers, make friends, etc
you loose points for infraction, it the threas you have post answers are deleted. or if you answer and delete the post for any reason, if you donate points to others for their experience.

Thanks. I am still a bit confused about what use they are supposed to have.
Also on the xperience.php page there are some items where I have no clue
what is meant (what are reputation points, who or what decides them).

Also in case of infraction I hope you get a message explaining what was wrong.

reputation;' points donated to your by someone who appreciates your experience in answering other than giving helpful votes.
the person who donates the points to you decide how much he can give. the donated points will be deducted from his account.

Its a record of how many people have liked your knowledge and experience....

When infracted you get a message for the reason you have been infracted and the points deducted from your account...

Right now this is only statistic, but I'm planing to buy special things using points and buy edaboard gadgets for example :)

It would be helpful if there was a page that described how to go about using the points system. For example, I have 10 points for user and 10 points for reputation but I have no clue how I got them. Everything that was discussed in this thread and more could be included on a web page.

It would be helpful if there was a page that described how to go about using the points system...
Adding to this, it would be much helpful, if a page describes about user level relating to points. for example Newbie level 4 ----> 50 points, Newbie level 5 ---->100 points Newbie level 6 ---->250 points and so on. It would give an idea to user, how much points are needed to achive desired level.

May be, they are not required as i dont think anyone here is really bothered about points... this is not a game to keep track of points...

All of us are here to help and learn new everyday from each other.....

So dont worry about points and enjoy your learning and teaching.......

I also think that what guilson said about using points to "buy" gadgets etc would be a step in the wrong direction.
Users in this forum help each other for all the right reasons without expecting anything in return, it is that nice feeling that you get when you offer help to someone, I would hate to see that turn into an action motivated by personal gain (points for rewards).

Alex

Then why use the points system at all... especially if we can't know how it works.

Yes you are right, but it wouldn't true reward and not a true shop, I was thinking about inexpensive gadgets with edaboard.com logo that can be good for memories, useful and to show friends. Only for fun, that's it. Thanks for your opinion.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

Then why use the points system at all... especially if we can't know how it works.

Here you can find informations how to earn points:
https://www.edaboard.com/xperience.php?go=earn

if we all can remember, 6-7 yrs ago, the points were something really useful, i hoped everyday i can get more...

I agree with iyami & b3l. They both asked reasonable questions about a feature that, as far as I can tell, has absolutely zero descriptive information. If the feature is in use, provide an explanation of what it is and how it works. If not, get rid of it.

I just got one of the most thoughtful and helpful replies to a question that I have ever received anywhere. I wanted to acknowledge the effort. I marked the replies "helpful", then saw the option to "give points". I clicked on that was was presented with one of the more cryptic screen I have seen in a long time. What is the meaning of and difference between:
Points for Threads, Points for replies, Points for Posts, Points for Reputation, & Level? What sense does it make to give away Level points?

A page in the FAQ would be much appreciated.

Right now this is only statistic, but I'm planing to buy special things using points and buy edaboard gadgets for example :)

Yes that is good.

What is really important on a forum is to help as many people as possible with the little bit of knowledge we possess , it really doesnt matter if a person's query is solved by a MODERATOR, a SENIOR MEMBER, a JUNIOR MEMBER or a NEWBIE as long as the query is solved .

so please dont involve yourself into matters other than knowledge sharing . . .

What is really important on a forum is to help as many people as possible with the little bit of knowledge we possess , it really doesnt matter if a person's query is solved by a MODERATOR, a SENIOR MEMBER, a JUNIOR MEMBER or a NEWBIE as long as the query is solved .

Yes I agree. That's the focus of the forum. Better to put more effort on increasing the knowledge in the forum.

Cheers!

Punctuation could be undestood as a measure of mixture of knowledge, avaliability and goodwill of a person.
More an evaluation criterion, than a ranking rate.

+++

guys, many of you said that we are here to learn new things and share knowledge[/B]. i don't think we are bothered about how people use the info we give. so why not appease the queries of the guys who wanted to know how the points system worked? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back