Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PN junction diode vs BJT as a diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipak.rf

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bjt as a diode

Hey whats a technical difference if i use pn junction diode or BJT as a diode in my circuit and layout?

Added after 7 minutes:

diode vs bjt diode

if u r using bjt in common base configuration it will work as two back to back diodes

diode configuration of bjt

xulfee said:
if u r using bjt in common base configuration it will work as two back to back diodes

hey i am using npn bjt in common source mode,

let me make my question simple, Lets take an example of band gap reference i can use either simple diode or BJT as a diode for PTAT current generation.
so wht make difference in both the cases

diode configuration from bjt

The diode-connected transistor obeys the diode equation better than a pn-junction diode for more current range (about 7 decades)
Even though it is called a diode it is still an active device. The collector current is much higher than the base current.
The effect of base spreading resistance is very low (high beta) in tx case but not so in pn diode case.
For a good transistor, you need heavily doped emitter, moderately doped thin base region and a large lightly doped collector which is readily available in the CMOS process., whereas for a diode you need almost identical n and p regions and expect low series resistances.
You would anyway need a dedicated nwell to construct a working diode (for BG) in CMOS process ., so use the transistor that gets formed and get better results...
These are only as far as I know...Experts can jump in with more valid reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.