Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PLL / Phase Lock Loop Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

RF_ice

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, how can I set my ADF4193 PLL chip to automatically output the desired freq upon startup without using microcontroller? Is there some chip out there that is like a bios in our desktop motherboard that can initialize my PLL chip?

Let's put it another way, my PLL R and N divders registers are programmable through a three-wire serial interface and I only need the PLL to run for a fixed frequency operation. so my question is, if PLL frequency is fixed what's the easiest way of programming the PLL? microcontroller? or EEPROM? Please Advice, thanks!

Usually a cheap microcontroller does the trick. A microchip flash part is acommon choice. You could do it with a small fpga too. I think just a simple memory device will have trouble getting the timing right between the data, enable, and data clock lines. After you figure out how to clock the data out properly, you might as well have used a $1 microcontroller.

RF_ice

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.