Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PLL divider, input is analog or digital??

Status
Not open for further replies.

knack

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
digital counters in pll

Hi,

In my study to PLL, i face a wierd thing! All proposed designs we study for loop divider are mainly digital counters although the signal coming from the VCO side is sine wave!!
How comes? Can a digital divider divide CORRECTLY this sinusoidal signal??

Please help me to remove this mistry!!

Regards,
--Knack

cml divider square wave input

It would be difficult divide sinusoidal signal. That is why it is shaped into rectangular form and digital divider is used!

What is the output frequency of the VCO and what is the dividing ratio of the divider?

MSSN said:
What is the output frequency of the VCO and what is the dividing ratio of the divider?

Output frequency of VCO is from 2400 to 2483.5 MHz...

Dividing ratio (total N output from the Pulse-Swallow counter) is between 480 to 500 .. i don't speak now about how should the internal counters will be.. Definitely they will have lower ratio.

servicemann said:
It would be difficult divide sinusoidal signal. That is why it is shaped into rectangular form and digital divider is used!

How can it be shaped at RF high frequencies??

Still wierd!

Regards,
-- Knack

malaya.nath said:
hi friend ,

Here I am attaching a pdf files which clear your dout.

Thank you,

malaya(at)iitg.ernet.in

Hi

Attached file doesn't work!!!
Kindly check that you sent it correctly, or send agian,

Thanks,
--Knack

What I did is to re-shape sine wave to square wave using differential comparator. If your comparator cannot handle high frequency, try to use CML divider to slow the VCO output down, then pass comparator, and then pass your digital divider.

knack

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Don't worry, as long as your VCO output can cut across the digital gate threshold point, you can get true digital signal.
Think of an Op-Amp with analog output but still needs to convert to digital finally. How, just go thru a buffer is enough.
Some ppl if you use diff VCO, will go thru a D2S to make it single ended and then pass thru logic gates

knack

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back