Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please suggest software debugger for dspic30f

Status
Not open for further replies.

impet14

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please suggest software debugger for dspic30f.

Thank you

What C compiler are you currently using?

Is your programmer just a programmer or is it a programmer/debugger, like the ICD3?

I'm using MPLAB C30 and MPLAB SIM. I've tried to debug with uart interrupt.MPLAB SIM can print out but can not receive the input key when I test receiving interrupt code from uart.

thnks.

You can get an educational copy of ISIS Proteus, it allows circuit full circuit emulation within MPLAB.

However, I do not know what models come with the education version, probably not the dsPIC series.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I have the full professional version with many of the models, it's very impressive. Unfortunately, I haven't used it enough, I prefer hardware prototyping.

If you need a good hardware programmer/debugger checkout the MicroChip ICD3.

Mplab Sim is able to generate complex waveforms, emulate external hardware, simulate complex serial protocols, verify response of algorithms and detect errors, analyse system latency and real-time response to stimulus, and more.
A not very well documented aspect of mplab sim is its support for SCL, the Stimulus Control Language.

You can find a primer on SCL at the Microchip forums here:

SCL PRIMER / TUTORIAL

You can find a code repository here, which includes an rs232 script.

SCL Code repository

Quote from the forum.

SCL is the Stimulus Control Language, adopted by Microchip as the foundation of external stimuli generation for MPSIM.
SCL looks like a dialect of VHDL (Very high-speed IC Hardware Description Language).
According to JasonK of Microchip, SCL is similar, but not a direct subset of VHDL.
Nevertheless, the syntax for SCL follows VHDL very closely;
This is a landmark in development with MPLAB IDE and will bring design verification to a new level.
Using SCL you can generate complex waveforms, emulate external hardware, simulate complex serial protocols, verify response of algorithms and detect errors, analyse system latency and real-time response to stimulus, and more.
As of now, SCL is an undocumented feature.
We are trying to convey information that the forum community may have using the SCL as an effort to know the boundaries of this powerful tool.

Thanks btbass,

The SCL information is very helpful and you're correct not well documented. I'll have to give it a try in my next project. I had found a webinar on the Microchip Simulation Engine, which mentioned SCL and introduced a SCL workbook, which peaked my interest, but fell off the radar shortly after.

Status
Not open for further replies.